Metal Detecting. Beach and Land Metal detecting!

Metal detecting uk. Beach and Land metal detecting.

This is a blog of my finds and experiences as a metal detector in the South East of England.

This blog features tips and advice for beginners, as well as being an archive of my most favourite finds and experiences as a metal detectorist around these parts. Excellent resource sites are also featured here.


Saturday 19 April 2014

Metal Detecting tip: Look for any dips in the ground.

Lookout for any obvious dips in the ground!

When I first started detecting, I always avoided these areas, because I always presumed that they were bomb craters from world war two.  The area where I live was heavily shelled in the war, and these holes and dips seem to be all over the place.

My friend Mick, who has tons of metal detecting experience told me that a lot of these dips were actually settlement areas from times gone by.  Places where people had dug in, and then settled themselves.  Mick gets about 20 hammered coins a months off his lands, and certainly knows his stuff.

Of course, in some instances it will be bomb holes.  But there is also a good chance that they are also settlement areas as well, so make sure you head for them if you have them on your land.  You'll soon know if a bomb hit, as you'll be digging loads of shrapnel!

Pay particular attention to the area around the hole as well, as this is where people may have sat, traded, fixed clothes etc.

There is a good example of a settlement area we found in this video:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment